Tuesday 7 October 2008

WET & WINDY

After yesterday's vacant seats, here's two more...


This was Friday afternoon on Brighton Pier: far too cold and blowy to be sitting around but fine for a nice, brisk, invigorating, stroll past the one-arm bandits!

And, in the evening, we accidentally happened to be in the right place at the right time to watch a splendid firework display ---- Ooooooh! Ahhhhhh! ---- with great chrysanthemums of colour blossoming over the sea...


As it happened, it was just as well that the fireworks hadn't been scheduled for Saturday or Sunday which turned out to be horrendously cold and wet with driving winds. In fact, it was so windy that the innocent pleasures of the good old helter-skelter...


Were suddenly off-limits...


The gale force winds (I was almost blown off my feet and I am, as you are aware, certainly no light-weight) resulted in some dramatic waves at high tide that can best be described by showing the jetty near the Palace Pier as the waves rolled and rushed ashore...



And the one place where you didn't want to be standing when they hit!


Unfortunately, we had our brolly knicked while we on the pier, so came home sadder and wiser - not to mention damper and severely wind-blasted!

All in all, it was an anniversary to remember!


Images: Brian Sibley © 2008

Now read button's comment.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My weekend on the Belgian coast was quite blustery too (apart from the slippery doors). I like the coast out of season... they were busy dismantling all the tourist trappings of the summer (what summer? I hear you ask) and I took what I think was a nice photo of a solitary beach cabin. No fireworks for me though...

Brian Sibley said...

SUZANNE's reference to 'slippery doors' will be explained in a future posting...

Anonymous said...

We wondered how your weather was at the weekend; we've given up trying to be in Brighton on a sunny day. We have a photo of a picnic on the beach with friends on a British spring day: their 4-year old daughter is wearing thick coat, hat, scarf and gloves and still looks blue with cold! It was followed by a visit to a Wimpy Bar (the only place open to a family on Sundays in those days)to warm up. Having a moaning rabbit with you must have added a small cloud as well!

SharonM said...

Oh dear, that wouldn't have improved your health much.
And I agree with Sheila that it sounds as if Buttons didn't appreciate you including him in the holiday.
He didn't seem to be complaining in Greece.

Boll Weavil said...

Whilst you were enjoying Brighton, I was basking in temperatures of 20 + under azure skies in the company of that other old lady of which you are so fond - Venice !
Suzanne,the last time I was on the Belgian coast, it was snowing ! Fortunately, you're never too far from a warming tonic !

Brian Sibley said...

So, BOLL, what did you make of La Serenissima?

Boll Weavil said...

Like Brighton, I found it a little jaded after so many visitors ! Dare I say that after Brugge, anything else with canals is likely to be a bit of a letdown. Verona was very nice though.

Brian Sibley said...

Oh, well, at least I don't have to share my mistress with another lover! :-)

Boll Weavil said...

I can see why you like it though.All those smartly dressed Italian men ! You must think you're in heaven !

Brian Sibley said...

You mean they have smartly dressed Italian men in Heaven? Damn! I think my ticket is for the Other Place...