Monday 25 September 2006

OUT OF KILTER

Christmas comes but once a year, but it starts NOW!!

It's three months today to Christmas Day, but the pressure is already on: the gift catalogues are arriving with every post and the shops are eagerly and excitedly urging us to get buying!

After all, can you afford not to? I mean, just supposing the mince pies should run out before December even arrives...


And, since this year we really are going to 'post early for Christmas' - well then, we might just as well get started!


If we get the cards written and off then and we can not only avoid the December logjams in the British mail system (by creating November or even October logjams) but we can also claw back a bit of extra, valuable, last-minute shopping-time nearer the holiday !

I will, obviously, tell readers when our first Christmas card arrives - it can only be a matter of weeks, probably days - meanwhile, in our house, we are, as you can see, well ahead of the game!


Actually, I bought this card last December to send to a friend with a 'cheeky' sense of humour; but for some reason (which I now can't remember) the intended recipient must have ended up with something rather less interesting - such as a brace of robins on a snowy gate...

So, there it stands on one of our bookshelves: the Last Christmas Card to be Taken Down or the First to Go Up --- depending how (or when) you look at it...

1st Music Hall Comic:

"Tell me, Mac, is anything worn under the kilt?"


2nd Music Hall Comic:

"Nay, laddie, everything's in perfect working order!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christmas comes but once a year, but it starts NOW!!

Oh man. We walked into our department store at the start of September to find a dancing Santa singing carols at us. We promptly turned and walked out. Because are they kidding with that?

Actually, I think I'm just mad at the moment because the cheeky card you have isn't on sale here. Heehee hilarious!

Brian Sibley said...

Mr Scrooge says: "I love Christmas..." Hear that, Mr Marley?!

Brian Sibley said...

On the mince pie front, I think their early arrival is a symptom of our obsessive "I-want-it-and-I-want-it-NOW" outlook on life: witness the year-round availability of what were once called 'seasonal fruits' and the fact that Hot Cross Buns can be purchased several months BEFORE and AFTER Easter, whereas - believe it or not - I remember when you could ONLY buy them on Good Friday...

Brian Sibley said...

Scrooge says: "As for the Scotsman... I'm suprised at you. This seems rather like revealing the method in the magician's tricks."

Well... All I'll say is, in the case of a magician, it's either up his sleeve --- or it ISN'T!